New Year’s Resolutions…..to do, or not to do? I’m going with ‘not do’ this year, kinda. I’m going to repeat something I did last year which was a ‘To Do’ list of sorts. As part Brian’s Christmas gift I planned out 12 dates, one for every month of the following year. I wrapped something small for each date, a set of plastic silverware for our picnic, a firestarter for our camping trip, etc. Then I boxed up the 12 gifts and wrapped them in one larger box. For our January date, we each had a cute piece of scrapbook paper with the months of the year listed on it. Each month had space to write down 2-3 things we wanted to do that month. It took us longer to fill up our pages than I had expected, but with wine we got it done:) And we will review them next week to see what we completed and what we didn’t.
This year, I’ve done something a little different. I’ve made a list of goals for different areas of my life that I’d like to accomplish in 2016. I’ve already decided 2016 is going to be nothing short of amazing. Even though my lil bug turns 10 this year, I’m making that a positive aspect too. I’ve kept him alive for 10 years!!
So, what areas am I going to work on this year? ALL of them! And I can see Brian’s face right now…supportive but scared as I tend to bite off more than I can chew. And I may or may not lose my shit when I get overwhelmed. But hey, that’s on my list to work on this year! I’m filing that under the ‘emotional’ tab even though it really fits under each tab as ‘set realistic goals/expectations’.
In no particular order, my topic areas are Physical, Emotional, Personal, Mi Casa, Finances and Income Diversification. There are probably more categories I could break this out into, but I think 6 is a good number for now. I’m not going to go into every little detail of each point, but I think you’ll get the idea. Here we go!
- Rebuild my endurance. (I once completed a half-marathon….now I can barely run 3 minutes without gasping for air)
- Strength train 3 times a week
- Make every effort to get 7 hours of sleep per night
- Wear smaller pants. This one is tricky…I don’t want to say lose weight because I don’t give a rats ass about the number. And I don’t want to say tone because that’s so generic and vague. So, smaller pants it is!
- Spend quality time with Mikah. Every. Single. Day.
- 25 personal contacts per day. This seems difficult, but my friendships have suffered this last year. Need to prioritize them again!
- 3 hours a week of ‘Me Time’. I haven’t completely decided if my gym time will count or not.
- 1 date night per month, adults only 🙂
- Spend more time praying.
- Set realistic goals and expectations.
- Be present more with Mikah.
- Be more efficient with the housework so there is more family time.
- Learn 2 songs (real ones, not Mary Had a Little Lamb) on my guitar
- Learn to crochet
- Sew myself a skirt
- Read 1 book a month (this will be the most challenging)
- BREAK UP with my snooze button!!!
- Complete kitchen reno (no rush, it’s only been in progress for 2 years)
- Add baseboard trim to dining room
- Make my mailbox pretty! Which includes a new post and some landscaping.
- 1,000 other things…..but let’s not set ourselves up for disappointment here 😉
- Payoff highest interest rate student loan
- Continue budgeting
- Streamline the grocery budget (goes hand in hand with my personal goal of mastering the menu planning)
- I’m not sure yet…..etsy? do laundry for the elderly? babysit? flip Goodwill finds? I’m completely open to suggestions everyone!
So there you have it, my 2016 Goal list. I’m sure I’ll make revisions and swap a thing or 2 out. But the main point is, I’ve completed it. I have goals and I have actionable steps wrote down in ‘my book’ (more on that topic to come soon) to complete those goals. I’m planning to do a quarterly update on this list, so check back often!
Now it’s your turn 🙂 I’d love to hear about your 2016 goals and/or resolutions. Let’s support each other and do this!